After many months I’ve started again to work on VisualDiffer the most complex extension I ever realized.
Developing VisualDiffer is an exciting task at least for two reasons
- Deeper level XUL usage to create complex user interfaces
- Attention to code performances to make application more reactive
At this time the UI doesn’t present any special widget but I’ve some idea about line position sliders and comparison file results, they will be very fun to implement.
While VisualDiffer only runs on Komodo I’ve tried to run the directories sort routines on Firefox with TraceMonkey enabled and I noticed some speedup, nothing so amazing but with deep file trees (~600 directories and ~2000 files) TraceMonkey completes in 10-20% less time (very good!!).
Due to the fact Komodo is based on Python, it should be easier to write core sort routines directly in Python, I will do it very soon.
VisualDiffer features list (in my mind) is very long but the already implemented is a very short subset.
I think it is mandatory to adopt the Release Early, Release Often strategy otherwise I’ll release the next version in 2030.
A couple of new functionalities are complete
- 2369618 quick comparing two open files selecting them from View Tab context menu (released)
- 2515481 set two different base folders from Directory Panel (not released)
At this time I’ve abandoned the idea to add the three-file compare view I want to add many little time saver features like
- copy/move folders from Folder sides
- rename folders/files
- reload changed files
- syntax highlight (this should be easy within Komodo)
- in place edit (no need to switch between Komodo and VisualDiffer)